I’ve had my Sprint Diamond for a few months now, and I’ve tried out a few ROM’s. If you’re not sure what a ROM is, then you’ll probably want to find out if you have the Diamond. Sprint’s standard ROM is garbage. It’s slow, has terrible battery life, not very pretty, and has quite a few other problems that I’m too lazy to remember.
Anywho, over the last few months, I’ve been experimenting with different apps and ROMs for the phone. The Hat told me about Juicy’s ROM, and that used to be my favorite. Then Juicy got threatened by the big-wigs at Microsoft, so apparently he stopped developing his ROM. Between him getting shut down, and my progressive impatience with his latest ROM, I started looking for something new/better.
Enter the Mighty ROM. I had heard about the Mighty ROM before, but never tried it out. I’m glad I did. Perhaps you’ll disagree, but I think the Mighty ROM blows Juicy’s ROM out of the water for a few different reasons.
- Sex Appeal (Not in a weird way) – From the Vista Orb (instead of the “Start” graphic) to the sleek black and white notification iconography, I think that this ROM is much better looking than what Juicy ever made.
- Facebook Mobile Uploads - If you have this ROM, you may not even be aware how easy the creator made it for you to upload images to your Facebook profile. To get this set up, go to: Settings > All Settings > Connections > Account Manager > and put in your Facebook settings. It allows Myspace uploads too, but we all know that Myspace is lame compared to Facebook. After you have those settings in there, just take some pictures and click the little menu button (bottom right icon when you’re looking at the picture you want to upload) then tap “Upload to Facebook”. Cool, simple.
- Opens .Jar and .Jad apps. – I spent a considerable amount of time figuring out how to open .Jar and .Jad apps. I finally figured out that I needed a Java emulator, but no matter which emulator I installed on my phone I always got some lame error (that was when I was on the Juicy ROM). Just flash the Mighty ROM to your phone and you can open all the .Jar, .Jad apps you can handle. This comes particularly in handy if you want to use any of the m.google.com apps.
- Works with G-Alarm - I couldn’t get G-Alarm to work with my last ROM. Maybe I wasn’t trying hard enough, or I was just being noob, but I couldn’t get it to work. I’m definitely glad that G-Alarm works on the Mighty ROM because it has some sweet features. Now all I do in the morning is shake my phone to make it STFU (snooze). I can either shake it, flip it over, or turn the light on and it turns off. All cool features thanks to the sweet sensors the Diamond is equipped with.
- Excellent battery life – Juicy had pretty decent battery life, but Mighty took battery life to a whole new level. This thing lasts forever. I won’t give any metrics because I’ve only had the Mighty ROM installed for a few days and I’m not very observant, but I can leave the phone in bed with me (not in a weird way), use it all the next day till like 5 (when I plug it in to use it for my internet) and the battery is only half gone (if that). Not to mention: when I used to tether my phone (use it for internet) with the Juicy ROM, it would barely put in the amount of power that it was taking out of it. Sometimes more. So I would end up unplugging my phone and it would have less battery life than when I plugged it in. Annoying. Mighty always keeps my battery life near 100%.
- More free memory. Better use of resources. – When I had the Mogul my memory used was always around 80%. When I got the Diamond and put Juicy on it, it was always around 45-50% used. Now with the Mighty ROM, it’s usually around 35-50% depending on what I’m doing. Very quick.
- Keeps programs open when you click the “x”. This is something I hated about Juicy: Every time I clicked the ‘x’ it would close the program. Even when I didn’t click the ‘x’ the program seeemed to magically close. This is particularly annoying when your browsing the net and you switch to something else and when you go back to the internet, the page you were on disappeared. With mighty, I can click the ‘x’ and the program stays open in the background. Some people like when the programs auto-close, but it drives me crazy. Screw that. I opened the program for a reason, and if I want it closed I’ll close it in the task manager.
- Has slide to answer. – If you get the S2U2 program, you can get the slide to unlock + slide to answer, but that’s just another program to put on your phone. With the Mighty ROM, you don’t need to install anything extra, slide to answer is already integrated. Looks cool too.
I would recommend the Mighty ROM to anybody who is looking to flash their Sprint Diamond.
If you have any questions about putting a new ROM on your phone, you can ask me. I’ll probably refer you to a forum thread somewhere and tell you that I’m not responsible if you screw up your phone. There are tons of tutorials on how to do it, but if you’d rather hear it from a trusted source (me. lol) then contact me and let me know that you’re a noob and need some pointers. I was once a noob, and still am with a lot of things…enough of my rambling. LMK if you need help.